What We Are
Cape Ivy is a Virginia-registered nonprofit corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Less than 4% Overhead
The mission of the organization primarily consists of manufacturing ponchos, providing fabric for customization, supplying packaging materials, and covering shipping costs. These components account for approximately 96% of the organization’s expenses.
Cape Ivy implements several strategies to maintain low overhead costs. Firstly, the organization operates entirely with volunteers, eliminating the need for paid staff. Secondly, they forgo the use of paid consultants, utilizing the expertise of their dedicated volunteers instead. Lastly, Cape Ivy avoids rental and utility expenses by utilizing the homes of the co-founders. These measures enable Cape Ivy to allocate a larger portion of its funds towards its core mission and initiatives.
The mission of Cape Ivy is possible due to the commitment and support of our donors, business sponsors and grants. Cape Ivy is managed, promoted and sustained solely by volunteers.
- Conboy Foundation (CA) 2022 and 2023
- Lions of Virginia Foundation (LOVF), including Crozet Lions Club, Rivanna Lions Club, Charlottesville Lioness Lions Club, and Charlottesville Host Lions Club (2022)
- Bama Works Fund of the Dave Matthews Band (Fall 2021)
- Easterns Automotive Group community outreach program Helping Hands, a partnership with ABC7 in Washington, DC (2021)
- Party Parade Endowment Fund (2021 and 2022)
- Wawa Foundation (2023)
- Fortune 500 multinational company (2020 and 2023)
- Pilot program with Catchafire through Charlottesville Area Community Foundation (2020 – 2023)
- Google Ads
- Amazon Smile (thru May 2023)
- Friends and Family of Judy Crane Elliott McCoy
- Friends and Family of Ted Struble